Description from their About Us page:
"Europeana enables people to explore the digital resources of Europe's
museums, libraries, archives and audio-visual collections. It promotes
discovery and networking opportunities in a multilingual space where
users can engage, share in and be inspired by the rich diversity of
Europe's cultural and scientific heritage. Ideas and inspiration can be
found within the millions of items on Europeana. These objects include:
- Images - paintings, drawings, maps, photos and pictures of museum objects
- Texts - books, newspapers, letters, diaries and archival papers
- Sounds - music and spoken word from cylinders, tapes, discs and radio broadcasts
- Videos - films, newsreels and TV broadcasts"
The Public Domain Review
From their Collections page:
- "Collections of films, audio, images and texts which are no longer protected by copyright. Trawling through the Internet Archive, Wikimedia Commons and other such sites, we bring you a continuously growing and curated slice of what the public domain has to offer. Most material featured is in the public domain worldwide but the rights status of some works (particular films) may vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, so do check before reusing."
From their About Us page:
- Your Paintings is a website which aims to show the entire UK national collection of oil paintings, the stories behind the paintings, and where to see them for real. It is made up of paintings from thousands of museums and other public institutions around the country. Your Paintings is a joint initiative between the BBC, the Public Catalogue Foundation (a registered charity) and participating collections and museums from across the UK. You can create your own collection of paintings and add tags.